Wednesday, May 18, 2011

195. Case of the Mondays


I knew the weekend would end too soon. All good things must come to an end, right? Fuck, I hope not. One thing was for sure: I did NOT want to be at work. I'd thought about asking for a day or two off while Cayden was in town, but I'd just asked off for two days for my sinus surgery that was coming up, and I couldn't picture myself going up to my male boss and saying, "So... my boyfriend's in town..." It just didn't seem professional. If I weren't so career driven I would have called in and quit, just so I could cuddle in bed all day with him. But we all know that would never happen.

My coworkers kept walking by asking, "So, are you the happiest girl in the world?" "How are you sitting at your desk right now?" "Planning on sneaking out?" "Do we get to meet him?" I wanted to answer, "I would be, if I weren't at work right now," "Barely," "It's crossed my mind," and "Yes, I plan on parading him around the office as soon as I can get my hands on him."

I couldn't concentrate. I had blogs to write for my clients, tweets to schedule, Facebook statuses to update, content to plan, videos to optimize, and phone calls to field. Not to mention the 30 unread emails staring at me from my inbox. I didn't want to do any of it. A storm was rolling in and I was begging for lightning to strike the office so we could all go home.

"Whitney? You there?"

I turned to see my coworker and cubical neighbor staring at me. Apparently she'd been talking to me while I was busy trying to use mental powers to make my emails disappear.

"Hmm?" I answered.

"I said it was so nice meeting Cayden at your BBQ. You two are way too cute!"

"Oh, thanks," I said. "I'm glad so many people showed up!"

"Ah, and his accent! So freaking cute!"

I sighed and remembered him telling me I was beautiful that morning when I woke up. For some reason, "you're beautiful," in and English accent sounds like, "You're the most gorgeous person in the entire world and not even the moon or the stars shine as bright as you."

"So what's he going to do all week while you're at work?" Rose asked.

"He has a lot of work to do, so he'll probably camp out at a Starbucks or something," I said. "And as soon as this shitty weather leaves, he'll camp out by the pool and work on his tan."

I was jealous. I was a light shade a Deathly White and it wasn't working for me.
His tweets made me smile. They always did.

I made myself a cup of coffee and forced myself to lock it up. Just a few more hours and I'd see him again. I put in my headphones and made a quick playlist of Bruno Mars, Blue October, and Discovery on Grooveshark to get me through until lunch.

Three hours later and I'd knocked out two blogs, read and responded to every email, and tweeted from all six Twitter accounts. Talk about productivity!

I wanted to go with @kateelizabeth77's option, but let's face it, I'd never make it back to work. And I'd never heard of Houston's, but it sounded expensive.
I drove as fast as I could and practically pranced through the doorway. Cayden was just putting his backpack on when I nearly tacked him with a hug. He smelled like a mix of his body wash, cologne, and natural scent. He smelled delicious.

"I missed you," he said, squeezing his arms around me and lifting me off the ground.

"I missed you, too," I said, enjoying the feeling of my feet dangling. I loved that he was so much bigger than me. "Hope you're hungry. Because we're about to feast on Italian food."



1 comment:

  1. I feel for you. Chris is off work now and I have to leave him all cozy in my bed every morning. :(

    ReplyDelete