Sunday, February 13, 2011

158. Dazed and Confused

I heard talking nearby and it interrupted my sleep. I felt brightness on the other side of my eyelids. Was it morning already? It didn’t feel like I’d slept that long. I rolled over to tuck myself under Cayden’s arm, but he wasn’t there. I listened closer. There were two nearby voices: one was Cayden’s and one was female.

Did he wake up before me and now he’s out watching TV with one of my roommates? Based on the fact that I couldn’t bare the thought of prying my eyes open, I knew it could’t be that late in the day. My roommates don’t wake up until 10 or 11.

I thought back to the night before to try to remember what time I went to bed. Did we have sex before we went to bed? Did we cuddle? Was it good?

I hadn’t blacked out. I’d barely had four cups of Joey’s Dreamsicle-y concoction.

I heard a laugh and immediately identified it as Dawn’s. I forced one eye open and reached for my phone. It was 6 am. What was Cayden doing with Dawn at 6 am? The lights were on in my bedroom. Had I fallen asleep with the lights on?

I tried to brainstorm. Maybe we all got wasted and I passed out and they hooked up? No. I didn’t even entertain the idea for more than a second. There literally was not one ounce of doubt it my mind that Cayden would ever be anything but 100 percent faithful. The same goes for Dawn.

Then I remembered Dawn saying she’d had four Red Bulls in the span of two hours. Well, that explained why she was still awake. Then I remembered Cayden saying he wanted one. He wasn’t ready to go to bed, it was New Years after all.

That’s right. It wasn’t long after 1 am, the three of us were lounging on the couches in the living room. Joey and Joyce had disappeared into her room when she mentioned her “window was closing.” Joey knows that means he has 10 minutes to follow her to her room or he won’t get sex that night.

My window was so close to shut it was basically locked. I couldn’t keep my eyes open and I was nodding in and out of consciousness. The exhaustion of moving day had finally hit me. But Cayden had caught his second wind.

I’d pulled myself up from the couch and excused myself from the conversation. I’d told Cayden to come to bed whenever and I made sure Dawn had a pillow and blanket for the couch. Then I’d changed my clothes, brushed my teeth, and crawled into bed. I was probably dead to the world in five seconds flat. I must have left the light on thinking Cayden was coming to bed shortly.

I closed my eyes again and fell back into my pillows. Suddenly, I was craving Cayden. I wanted him in bed. I wanted to fall asleep on his chest. I wanted to hear him say goodnight in that delicious accent of his. I wanted him to kiss my forehead the way he always did before we fell asleep.

I listened closely for his voice. I wanted to hear if the conversation was coming to an end anytime soon.

“I definitely need to hook you up with Phil,” Cayden was saying. “You guys would be perfect!”

He didn’t sound tired at all.

I’d met Phil the night of the World Cup when I was in London. He was tall, lean, and had a sarcastic jack-ass like sense of humor. Perfect for Dawn. She needed someone who could dish it right back to her, because she sure could dish it out.

I half wanted to join their conversation and half wanted Cayden to crawl in bed next to me. So I decided to call Cayden instead, so I could join the conversation from bed,

I bashed my phone on my headboard until it finally agreed to call Cayden. I heard his phone ring. Heard it loud and clear. It was on my dresser, two feet away from my bed. Ooops.

He came striding into my room, probably hurrying to silence his phone before it woke me. He looked surprised to see me awake with my phone to my ear.

“Babe, you’re awake! I’ve been up talking to Dawn all night. She’s a riot! We have to hook her up with Phil!”

He had a big smile on his face. I smiled back at him and yawned at the same time, sinking back against my pillows.

“Aw, babe. You look so cozy,” he said, looking down at me nuzzled into one of the six pillows on my bed. “I want to cuddle you.”

I patted the pillow next to mine and smiled.

“Dawn, calling it a night! See you in the morning!” he yelled from my room.

“See you two lovebirds in the morning,” she responded.

Minutes later, Cayden was shirtless and under the covers. He pulled me tight against his warm body. I traded my pillow in for his chest. He said goodnight in that delicious accent. He kissed my forehead. And we fell asleep.


*

No comments:

Post a Comment