Monday, May 21, 2012

299. Good Things Come to Those Who Wait

It's been five weeks. Still no word. 


Last week I emailed the Embassy. I didn't expect to hear back, but I just couldn't sit around anymore. I had to do something. I let myself hang onto a shred of hope as I hit send. Five seconds later, that shred was yanked out of my aching fingertips. 



PLEASE NOTE:  Inquiries regarding visas, the Visa Waiver Program, ESTA,
immigration and green cards will NOT be answered.  Please visit our
website at http://london.usembassy.gov for further information.  If,
after reading the website, you still have questions, please call our
Operator Assisted Information Service for assistance.  Contact
information is available from our website

Cayden had called the Operator Assisted Information Service a few weeks back, and all they could tell us was that additional processing can take up to 22 weeks. They wouldn't tell him anything else. He called again this morning, in hopes that someone with an ounce of sympathy would answer. From what Cayden told me, it went a little bit like this:

Cayden: I'm calling because the paper I received after my final interview said my K-1 visa was refused and in additional processing. Were those both supposed to be checked off? Shouldn't it be one or the other?

Operator: Why are you in additional processing?

My reaction (upon hearing this): OH, WHAT A BRILLIANT QUESTION. WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT???

Cayden: I don't know, I was kind of hoping you could tell me that. I wasn't given a reason.  

Operator: Have you ever been convicted of a crime?

Cayden: No

Operator: Have you ever had any immigration violations? 

Cayden: No. 

Operator: What section were you refused under?

Cayden: 221 G.

Operator: Hmmm...

Cayden: Is it supposed to say refused AND in additional processing? Could it be that it's just in additional processing and not refused?

Operator: No. If your form has those checked off, that's what it's supposed to be. 

Cayden: Does that mean I can't travel to the US?

Operator: I wouldn't recommend it. Chances are, you'll face problems with border control when you get there and they won't let you in. Is there anything else I can help you with?

My reaction (upon hearing this): Wait... you helped me with something?

Cayden: You couldn't update me on my case, could you?

Operator: No, unfortunately I can't. You'll hear from us when a decision has been made. 

That oh-so-helpful call cost him £1.23/min plus network extras. 

I'm at a loss. I have no idea what else I can do. I emailed Congressman Pete Sessions and Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison last week and I haven't heard back. I'm not sure if they could even do anything, but I figured it was worth a shot. 

The 33 News story about our situation is going to air tomorrow (Tuesday) on the 9 pm newscast. Maybe someone who knows someone will see it and know how to help. Until then... we wait.

But I can't complain. My friend Chinh Doan, a fellow OU grad, had to wait 18 years to bring her mom over to the US. Watch this news story about the moment she and her dad were reunited with her mom. Might want to grab some tissues. 


I can't even imagine living away from my husband for 18 years. Can't even wrap my brain around it. But one of Chinh's recent Facebook posts is something I can definitely grasp. Good things come to those who wait. 

"Celebrating the Lord's many blessings: Our first meal as a family in my parents' first American apartment together. They now get to grow old together! This picture is the image I've been dreaming of for years."




2 comments:

  1. I love that picture! So sweet!! It will not be that long for you. Keep your chin up it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omgggggggg I'm getting so angry reading this!!!!

    ReplyDelete