Sunday, November 13, 2011

'Like Crazy'

Have you ever watched a movie and thought, Wait... this is my life. You're so convinced that you look around the theater to see if there's a camera on you and you half expect the movie to end with the main character going to the movies and sitting in the exact same spot you're sitting.

That happened to me a few weeks ago when I saw a screening of 'Like Crazy.' I made Rae go with me because she'd been in a long-distance relationship before, so I knew she'd appreciate the storyline. If you haven't seen the trailer yet, watch this:


A few people told me not to go see it. "It doesn't look like it ends well," they said. "Don't put yourself through that."

I knew I was torturing myself by seeing the movie while I was missing Cayden, but I felt drawn to it. I downed a glass of wine in the theater and soaked a decent sized stack of brown, scratchy theater napkins with tears and snot by the time it was over. Never has there been a movie about long-distance relationships that was so real, so true, so raw.

In one scene, they take the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow airport on the way to another tear-filled airport goodbye. Cayden and I have taken that same train to that same airport to experience the same overwhelming feeling of not wanting to let go. And you know that scene in the trailer where she calls him crying and says "Hey..." It ripped my heart out. I can't tell you how many times I've done that.

But it's not all sad and depressing. It's also beautiful, funny, optimistic, passionate, hopeful, powerful, and above all, romantic. But without seeing it, these are just adjectives. These adjectives come to life on the screen and the feelings they instill in you stick around for a while after the credits roll. I had to see it again.

The movie opened on October 28 in select theaters only. Sadly, none of those theaters were in the Dallas Fort-Worth area. Until now. 'Like Crazy' is playing at the Angelika theater in Dallas and Plano. I'm going to go see it again tomorrow. And probably 10 times after that. As I'm sure you can tell, I highly, HIGHLY recommend it. So go see it and then tell me what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment