Monday, May 31, 2010

28. Happy New Year, indeed

I went back to work with a smile plastered to my face.
"Oh my god! I thought he murdered you!" Stephanie said when I sat back down at my desk.
I should have texted to tell her not to worry, but I didn't realize how much time had passed. We usually get an hour lunch break, but by the time I got back to work it was 2:30.
I just smiled.
"Well, tell me about it!"
I gave her an earful.
"So, are you going to see him again?"
I didn't know the answer to this question. We didn't make plans for a future date, but things went so well, I couldn't imagine not seeing him again. But then again, maybe he didn't feel the same way.
I didn't have to wait long to find out. That night he sent me a text message saying he was glad we finally met in person, and he wanted to see me again soon. I could tell 2010 was shaping up to be a good year.
---

"Can I take you out to dinner and a movie tonight?" Addam asked via text.
It was new year's day, and Stephanie was getting dressed to go to a hockey game with a guy she'd met the night before. I ran into her closet, thrusting my phone in her face.
"Look! Read this! He wants to do dinner and a movie. How cute is that?"
"Awww, that's awesome! What are you going to wear?"
Flats. Definitely flats.
He met me outside of my apartment that night and greeted me with a hug. I noticed he didn't wear cologne, but he smelled clean. Smelled like a clean boy.
"Aren't you freezing?" I asked him when I noticed he was only wearing a sweatshirt. It was freezing outside. I was wearing a coat, gloves, and a scarf.
"I didn't bring a coat when I moved here. I didn't think it would get this cold in Texas."
I could think of a number of ways to keep him warm.
We walked to a Cuban restaurant around the corner, not holding hands, but walking close enough for our hands to touch. Over mojitos and tacos we talked about our families. His phone rang from inside his pocket, and he asked my permission to answer it because it was his younger brother.
He told his brother he left him some money on the table for dinner, and he said "I love you," when he hung up. Part of me assumed it was actually his wife on the phone, because this guy was too good to be true. Who's that hot and that sweet to his brother?
Later at the movie (Sherlock Holmes), he finally reached for my hand. I felt like I was back in middle school, and half expected him to yawn and put his arm around me, too. But it was cute, and sweet, and innocent, not to mention completely refreshing. Right then I knew he was a keeper.
After the movie, I invited him inside for a glass of wine. He hesitated, but agreed. That's when I realized we'd polished off all the wine in the apartment during last night's New Years Eve festivities. The only thing we had left was a pink bottle of Andre champagne. How embarrassing.
"Is girly pink champagne OK?"
"That works."
We sat on the couch, our arms touching.
"So, to be honest, I didn't think you'd want to see me again," he admitted, ducking his head when he said it.
"What? Why?" I asked him in complete shock.
"I don't know. I figured you thought I was too short, or that I looked much different from my profile picture or something."
I cracked up. Was he really that modest? Did he really not know how attractive he was?
"Don't worry," I said as I tugged on the bill of his hat. "I think you're adorable."
His face looked genuinely relieved.
After an hour on the couch, he said, "Well, I should head home now."
I wanted to ask him to stay. I wanted to fall asleep with him. But we hadn't even kissed yet.
Until I walked him to the door.

1 comment:

  1. You really know how to leave a girl hanging!! (in a good way..)

    ReplyDelete